Bioidentical Hormone Therapy
and Hormone Balancing
Hormones are the behind-the-scenes regulators of almost all of our bodily functions. You may not think about your hormonal levels on a day-to-day basis, but a hormonal imbalance can cause symptoms ranging from fatigue, insomnia, and mood swings to weight gain, dry skin, and loss of libido. If you are suffering from a hormonal imbalance due to aging, genetics, or environmental factors, you have options to take control of your health.
At her San Diego practice, Dr. Brooke Leverone specializes in Bioidentical Hormone Therapy that utilizes plant-based formulas and customized treatment plans to help you look and feel your best.
What Are Bioidentical Hormones?
Bioidentical hormones are sourced from plants and are custom compounded to be biologically identical to the hormones that your body produces. When your hormones are out of balance, Bioidentical Hormone Therapy (BHRT) offers a natural solution with hormones that contain the exact molecular structure of yours in a plant-based treatment plan that is tailored to your unique needs.1
Benefits of BHRT
The many potential benefits of Bioidentical Hormone Therapy include:2,3,4
- Improved sleep
- Decreased anxiety, depression, or mood swings
- Increased libido and improved sexual function
- Enhanced memory and concentration
- Improved muscle mass retention
- Rejuvenation of hair and skin
- Reduced hot flashes
What Causes Hormonal Imbalance?
Beyond the symptoms you may be experiencing, one of the most frustrating parts of dealing with a hormonal imbalance is the struggle to understand how and why it is happening. Dr. Brooke Leverone will work with you closely to identify the underlying cause of your hormonal imbalance and create a comprehensive plan targeted to your specific symptoms.
Possible triggers of hormonal imbalance include:
Myths, Facts, and Your Safety
There are many misconceptions about Bioidentical Hormone Therapy, some of which stem from a confusion between this natural treatment and traditional pharmaceutical hormone replacement therapy. Conventional hormone replacement products, such as Premarin and Provera, have been shown to create health risks that outweigh potential benefits.7 Many women have rejected conventional hormone treatments because of concerns over a demonstrated increased risk of breast cancer, but bioidentical hormones do not pose the same risks.8
Studies show that patients who switched from conventional hormone medications to bioidentical hormone therapy were more satisfied with their treatment and experienced fewer side effects.8 It is not surprising that many patients prefer bioidentical hormones because non-bioidentical hormones are prescribed as a one-size-fits-all solution, while bioidentical hormone therapy is a personalized treatment with prescriptions that are custom compounded specifically for you. Dr. Brooke Leverone, a California licensed Naturopathic Doctor and an expert in bioidentical hormones, prioritizes patient safety in all her treatment offerings.
Frequently Asked Questions
About Bioidentical Hormones
- Is a hormone replacement therapy the only effective way to treat my hormonal imbalance? No, BHRT is a valuable treatment but it is not the only option and it is not the only solution that Dr. Brooke Leverone offers to treat hormonal imbalance! If bioidentical hormones are not right for you, or if you would like to try other options first, she can recommend dietary changes or other integrative wellness tools.
- Are Bioidentical Hormones FDA approved? Your custom BHRT formula isn’t, but the ingredients are. The FDA does not review or approve any compounded treatments – they only approve medicines that are prescribed in standardized dosages. Since BHRT is customized, each patient receives a bioidentical hormone formula that is intended to treat their unique hormonal makeup. Because BHRT is not regulated by the FDA, it is important to use a trusted and accredited compounding pharmacy. Dr. Brooke Leverone partners with La Vita, a PCAB Accredited® compounding pharmacy in San Diego. La Vita is licensed by the California Board of Pharmacy as a traditional compounder (503A). They source all their ingredients from FDA registered providers and the pharmacy is routinely inspected by the FDA.
- Do I need a prescription for Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy? Yes. If you are experiencing symptoms of hormonal imbalance, you may be tempted to try “natural hormone” treatments that are available to purchase online, but they may have questionable ingredients and they are not the same as Bioidentical Hormone Therapy which is customized for you.
- What types of hormones are included in a BHRT treatment plan? Bioidentical Hormone Therapy typically supplements estrogen, progesterone, DHEA or testosterone to balance the hormonal system.
- What are the side effects of Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy? There can be an adjustment period while your hormonal system begins to rebalance itself. Some temporary side effects that may occur while your hormones equalize include bloating, fatigue, and changes in hair and skin. Dr. Leverone will monitor your hormone levels carefully to minimize any side effects.
- How long will it take to see results? Since Bioidentical Hormone Therapy is personalized to treat a wide range of concerns, results can vary from patient to patient. Most patients begin to see improvement within a few weeks.
Am I a Candidate for Bioidentical Hormone Therapy?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms and you would like a personalized, natural treatment, then BHRT may be right for you.
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance
- Weight gain
- Difficulty sleeping
- Painful or heavy periods
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Mood changes
- Fatigue and brain fog
Bioidentical Hormone Therapy isn’t right for everyone, such as women who are currently pregnant or have a family history of certain diseases. If you are not a candidate, Dr. Brooke Leverone offers a variety of other treatment options and will be happy to work with you to find one that may be a better fit for you.
Contact Dr. Brooke Leverone Today
Dr. Brooke Leverone is passionate about helping people improve their quality of life by providing treatments that support the body’s natural ability to heal itself. Contact her today to schedule a consultation appointment.
I can’t thank Dr. Brooke enough for what she has does for me. I have been going to her for the past five years and she has essentially cured my insomnia, IBS, and eventually helped me get pregnant! She is very precise when it comes to ordering the right tests for YOUR symptoms (doesn’t over do it like most doctors) and walks you through the results with knowledge and compassion. If you’re tired of suffering or would just like to generally feel better, Dr. Brooke should be your next call.
How It Works
PHASE 1: RESET
Meet Dr. Leverone for a comprehensive visit with functional lab testing and receive your prescriptions for custom BHRT.
PHASE 2: RENEW
Discuss with Dr. Leverone the improvements you are experiencing and address any continuing symptoms that have not shifted in a positive direction in your lab work.
PHASE 3: REFINE
Dr. Leverone will review your routine and suggest changes to maintain your hormone balance. You can expect to feel rejuvenated with significant improvement in your well-being.
PHASE 4: MAINTAIN
You will have a new perspective on your body, and the tools and knowledge needed to maintain your mood, energy, and health will be second nature.
1 Romero, M. Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy – customizing care for perimenopausal and menopausal women. Advance for Nurse Practitioners. 2002; 10(11:47-52
2 Fitzpatrick LA, Pace C, Witta B. Comparison of regimens containing oral micronized progesterone of medroxyprogesterone acetate on quality of life in postmenopausal women: a cross-sectional survey. Journal of Women’s Health & Gender-Based Medicine. 2000; 9(4): 381-387.
3 Campbell S. Bioidentical hormones-Achieving the perfect fit. Advance for Nurse Practitioners. 2006; 14(2):25-29.
4 Vigesaa KA, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of compounded bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding. 2004; 8(4): 313-319.
5 Office on Women’s Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Menopause Basics. Available: https://www.womenshealth.gov/menopause/menopause-basics#3 Accessed October, 2019.
6 National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Endocrine Disruptors. Available: https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/index.cfm. Accessed October, 2019.
7 Moskowitz, D. A comprehensive review of the safety and efficacy of bioidentical hormones for the management of menopause and related health risks. Alternative Medicine Review. 2006; 11(3): 208-223.
8 Holtorf, K. The bioidentical hormone debate: are bioidentical hormones (estradiol, estriol, progesterone) safer or more efficacious than commonly used synthetic versions in hormone replacement therapy? Postgraduate Medicine. 2009; 121(1): 1-13